Mosquitoes and dead deer

It was a bit of a baptism of fire when we first went to visit the new house. I got out of the car, enjoyed the sun and, by the time we left, had over 30 mosquito bites! Each bite was a 3cm diameter red blotch that itched and wept for a week. What I didn't realise is that most people get bitten, but it is the reaction that is the problem. Anyway, the first step for me is to reduce the number of bites. So far I have bought a tubey type neck scarf, which I have cut in half giving me wrist band, neck scarf and headband options. I also got a Craghoppers NOSIlife shirt from Blacks, some wristbands from ebay and repellent spray.

On subsequent visits, with this lot on, I got virtually no bites. I noticed that for me, as soon as I start working, breathing heavily and getting warm, the mosquitoes will have a go, even with all my gear on.
Someone said to me "You'll be fine once you are out here. Your body will get used to it!". I looked this up on google and it's true! You only need 10,000 bites to not react badly to them. Even at 30 a day that will take..........approx 3 summers of gardening in my boxers! Easy :)

Hang on though. If each bite lasts a week, I will need to have around 200 on my body at any one time! The snow has its attractions...

Anyway, "what about the dead deer?" I hear you ask. Well we went to Depo (like B&Q but with about 3 times the stock and realistic prices) and bought a wheelbarrow, spade and fork. As we walked back to the car, me with the spade over my shoulder, we joked that we looked like grave diggers. I gave Inara a very interesting fact on that subject. She was amazed to hear that Rod Stewart used to be one. "Who?" she said.

When we got back to the house, this grave digging nonsense turned out to be sadly, quite relevant. We had a little walk around the woods by the river before we started gardening.

There was a small dead deer laying there. After a lot of mucking about we gave the poor creature a proper burial.

Didn't see any obvious injuries on it although we were told that sometimes hunters shoot and injure them but they run away and die elsewhere.

Anyway, the first digging in the garden was a grave for the deer.

Hopefully these beautiful creatures will grace our garden in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter warmer